Your brand is your calling card. It is what you’re known for and how people experience you. Building your brand is about bringing who you are to what you do and how you do it. Communicating and delivering your brand clearly and consistently will create a memorable experience in the minds of those you interact with. Having a clear and authentic personal brand can open doors to new opportunities.
Throughout CareerAdvisor, you’ve been gathering the tools to discover, communicate, and align your personal brand. Now it is time to put that all together and build your personal brand advantage.
The Building Blocks of Your Personal Brand
Your personal brand is founded on three basic tenets:
1. Authenticity: Branding is not about spin or creating a false image. It is about what is real and true about you. Begin by exploring what makes you tick.
2. Differentiation: Instead of stressing out about how to fit in, think about what makes you stand out. Embrace your unique skills and talents.
3. Creating an experience: Anyone can be transactional. The goal is to be memorable and consistently give people that extra something that makes them want to come back for more.
The Personal Branding Process
Branding is a journey, not a destination. This three step process should be revisited throughout your career as your personal and professional aspirations will continue to evolve. Put together the activities you completed as part of CareerAdvisor and you will be well on your way.
Step 1: Discover what makes you unique
- Uncover your signature strengths
- Define your interests and values
- Tap into your passions and find your purpose
Step 2: Communicate your unique value proposition
Once you know it, it is time to show it! Follow the activities in CareerAdvisor to present brand “you” in person, on paper, and online.
- In Person: Build your professional presence
- On Paper: Create a winning cover letter, resume, bio, and thank you letter
- Online: Build your visibility and credibility on line
Step 3: Align everything around you to send a consistent message
Each interaction is a way to build your visibility and credibility with the people who can help you achieve your goals. Branding is about consistency – people need to know what they can expect from you, so be sure to deliver the real “you” all the time.
Be aware of what your words, demeanor, and appearance convey – in both the real and virtual worlds - and make sure it is consistent with who you are and the impression you want to make.
- Alignment starts with your message and the stories you share. Perfect your communications so you can maximize your impact through formal and informal interactions.
- It is reinforced by the “visual” elements of your brand. Line up your personal toolkit so you have got what you need at the ready.
- It is solidified throughout the interview process. Perfect your pitch and leave a winning first impression.